Welcome to Forest School! Please visit this page to see copies of letters that have been sent out, dates, and photos of what we have been up to!
We used a fire steel to make a fire
In small groups, the children used a fire steel to make a small fire. Initially setting fire to a piece of cotton wool. Next they added Vaseline to another piece of cotton wool, which allowed them to add small amounts of fuel.
During this activity the children had to:
• remember the safety protocols
• use team working skills including taking turns and talking to each other
• deal with set backs and persevere to achieve the desired outcome
• help each other and celebrate success.
And it was great fun too! We also got to swing in a hammock.
Fire safety - 18th January 2017
During this session the children were shown how to safely light and extinguish a candle using a match. This activity was done one-to-one with an adult. The purpose of the activity was to:
- help develop resilience, as many children find this action quite hard to master'
- help develop listening skills and following multi-part instructions, and
- give children an understanding of the safety measures needed around matches, candles and fire.
The activity is a precursor to using a fire steel.
We played a game with sticks!
This game helps children learn about co-operation, communication and perseverance. It's also good fun!